If you're currently fighting against mental or chronic illness, keep fighting. You're never alone and are so worth the effort.

Monday, June 1, 2015

Pupdates, Cupcakes, and Bracelets

In just a week, I'm headed to California to see Mom's home for the first time!  I can't wait to meet my kitty cat brother and sister and my human Auntie.  I've already traveled to so many states since I was fostered in the south, but I'm still excited to see a new place.  I'll make sure to give summer PUPdates, especially since I'll be taking my two tests!

Playing in Nathan's Garden
But now for a PUPdate for the past couple of weeks: I've continued my training my Mom and am still learning so much with every training session and every On Duty outing.  I had my first unvested On Duty public appearance, since it was too hot to wear my vest, and I'm slowly learning that I can still be On Duty even without my vest--a Service Dog, after all, is still a Service Dog with or without her vest on.  It's an abstract concept for a pup to learn, but Mom says I'm doing well, which means I must be doing something right!  With my vest on, though, I can't even try to be humble, because I'm rocking it.  The other day, Mom went to dinner with a friend, and I did a Down-Stay underneath the chair next to her the whole time without her even needing to ask me.  I know I can definitely pass both the CGC and the PAT at this point.  Hopefully, the school recognizes me as a Service Dog soon, especially once I pass my two tests--wish me luck!  While not on duty, I've been snuggling with Mom because thunderstorms are scary for me, and I've also been exploring a secluded, magical fairyland called Nathan's Garden--it's filled with ferns and wildflowers and is a perfect place for a pup to sniff around.  I have discovered that I love playing in water and will splash around whenever I get the opportunity!  I hear California has beaches, so I can't wait to play in the ocean.


Mom's new medical bracelet

Mom now has a medical ID bracelet that she wears around the clock.  It says, "In Case of Emergency, Do Not Separate from Service Dog."  It matches the tags I wear on my vest and collar so that if an emergency should ever occur, Mom and I will not get separated.  It's so crucial that I stay right by her side so I can do my job--if I'm not with her, then I can't keep her safe and comfortable, and that's particularly dangerous in an emergency.  Now, with the bracelet, people will know not to try to divide us--we go together like peanut butter and jelly!  And even if it's not an emergency, I should never be separated from my girl anyway--separating a SD from her handler can have serious consequences, even in day-to-day situations.  I plan on sticking right by Mom's side where I belong, and I'm glad that she now has the bracelet to prove it.

All my love,
Kelsie Iris


Check out these posts of mine:
SD team etiquette -- http://kelsieiris.blogspot.com/2015/04/dos-and-donts-of-encountering-service.html
Confused?  Here are some terms and abbreviations -- http://kelsieiris.blogspot.com/2015/04/as-abbreviations.html    

No comments:

Post a Comment