If you're currently fighting against mental or chronic illness, keep fighting. You're never alone and are so worth the effort.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

A Kelsie by Any Other Name (How To: Name)


Before my name was called: destroying Hokey Pokey
After my name was called: "Yes, Mom?"
Yesterday, I arrived in my new home at Dartmouth and met Mom for the first time!  I don’t want to make a hasty assumption since we’ve only known each other for a day, but I think we’ve hit it off pretty well.

Apart from settling into my new home/dorm room, my first official task was to learn my new name (if you remember, Name is on Tier I).  Mom changed my foster name, Molly, to Kelsie Iris, although she just calls me “Kelsie” to make it easier on her and me—this is actually my third name because my name in the shelter was Cali, which actually isn’t too different from Kelsie.  Sometimes it can take a while for a dog to learn her new name, especially after so many changes, but a dog of any age can learn a new name.  By yesterday evening, I already knew my new name was Kelsie.  There are a few training tricks that really helped me out:

1)    When I first arrived, Mom would say my new name (“Kelsie”) and would immediately give me a small treat (she recommends Mini Zuke’s broken in half: ~1.5 calories). This helped me associate this new word, which I didn’t realize was my name yet, with something good.
2)    Similarly, Mom would say my name while petting me, to associate the word with good things—I love being petted and rubbed and snuggled, so this was perfect for me!
3)    Mom, and Auntie-Mommy K (my other mommy, because it’s the 21st century) used my name frequently to get my attention.  She would often use it before she told me to do something, like “Sit.”  This works because a dog’s name can work much like “Watch Me,” in that it grabs her attention and lets her know that you are talking to her and not the tree over there.
4)    Mom also used my name when asking me to retrieve a ball that she had thrown.  I have a natural tendency to bring a ball back (because I know that as soon as I bring it back, it will be thrown again), so hearing my name as I trotted to Mom helped me associate my name with coming to her.  Since a dog’s name can also function as an alternate to “Here,” this helped me better understand this other dimension of my name.

As a side note, it also helps that I’m very smart (or so says Mom), and so a natural ability to understand new things has also helped me learn my name really quickly.  However, being smart isn’t a prerequisite for learning a new name—like I said before, any dog of any age can learn her new name, but sometimes it will take some dogs longer to do so.  Learning a new name in half a day is quite speedy, so like with all training, it can take some patience on the handler’s part throughout the process.  Luckily for me, Mom has been so patient!

I have decided to try to keep my blog posts a little shorter, if possible, so if I have multiple commands that I have been learning in one day or period, then I will split them into multiple posts.  This will also help organize the commands a little better for anyone trying to use them as guides or pointers (no dog puns intended there!).  So stay tuned for everything else I’ve been learning over the past day or so!

Love you all,
Kelsie Iris

5 comments:

  1. Kelsie - good girl.
    Kelsie - wait ... until June. (Then you you will learn "Kelsie - come ... to California.")
    Smoochies from Grandma XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelsie-Iris,
    You are a beautiful dog! I'm glad to see your training has gone so well. I have a question for your owner - My name is Claire, and I am a high school student. My brother goes to school at dartmouth (he is a sophomore), too. I am looking into a psychiatric service dog for my ptsd, and after I stumbled upon your website today, wanted to ask you a few questions if it's okay! Are you using a trainer along with your own self training for Kelsie? What process did you have to go through to bring Kelsie to D.mouth's dorms? Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Claire,

    Thank you for reaching out! This is exactly what I wanted my blog to do--I was hoping it could help other psychiatric service dog teams. I'm sorry to hear that you're battling mental illness, but I'm so glad that you're considering a PSD!

    To answer your first question, Mom isn't using a trainer for me currently. That's partially because she's at school, so it's a little hard for her to make the time. I'm also just learning the basics right now, so she feels pretty confident training me by herself right now. Once she's home for the summer, she says she might get a trainer for me to help me with fine-tuning some Service Dog behaviour, but she also says that I'm smart enough where we may be able to pull this off together without outside help. I guess you could say we're just playing it by ear for now. I don't know what your dog experience is, but if you haven't had much, then I definitely recommend getting a trainer--it probably can't hurt!

    To answer your second question, getting permission at Dartmouth was a little tricky, according to Mom. Since I'm not currently a Service Dog yet, the school can't/won't recognize me as one (understandably), so I'm currently registered as an Emotional Support Dog, which means that I get to live in Mom's dorm with her but don't have the access rights of a Service Dog. Mom had to go through Student Accessibility Services, get a letter from a mental health professional, and then work with Housing to make sure that no one on the floor had severe enough allergies or a dog phobia that would make her have to move dorms. And, of course, she had to check with her new roommate to make sure she was okay with my coming to live with them! Once that was all set, all she had to do was find me, but that's another story for another day!

    Let me know if you have anymore questions--I'm always happy to help! You can also email me at kelsie.iris@gmail.com if you feel more comfortable with private messaging.

    All my love,
    Kelsie Iris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Kelsie Iris! I really appreciate you taking the time to get back to me. Your info has been really helpful and its quite reassuring to read stories from those at college with a PSD/ESD. I wish you the best of luck with all your training, and I hope your mom knows that I am rooting for her. Whatever you're going through, I know a four legged animal always makes things better - I hope Kelsie brings a smile to your face each and every day. Maybe I'll bring my future PSD to Dartmouth one day, and follow in your footsteps ..who knows :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could help! Please feel free to ask any more questions if you need to. And thank you for the well-wishes for my Mom--she really appreciates it and hopes that your future four-legged friend brings you smiles and joy, too! If you and your ESD/PSD ever come to Dartmouth, don't hesitate to let me know--I'd love to meet you and help you navigate the ropes! xoxoxo

      Delete