If you're currently fighting against mental or chronic illness, keep fighting. You're never alone and are so worth the effort.

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Library Log: Written from Beneath a Desk

Hello, dear readers!

I write to you from beneath a desk at the public library while Mom cranks out her final essay.  It's surprisingly spacious down here--I have plenty of room to flop on my side (Mom is trying to teach me that this position is called "Settle," although I seem to do it naturally!).  My girl has been typing away for three hours now, so apart from napping and keeping an eye on her to make sure she's okay (PUPdate: she is), I have not much to do.  Thus, I write to you!

If Mom could spare a minute right now, she'd tell you that I'm acing my training, especially right now.  I have tried to be as invisible as possible in the library, and it's working!  So many people haven't even noticed that I'm here that sometimes I wonder if they can even see me.  Is my vest an invisibility cloak?  Who knows--it sure seems like it!  I really know "Under" now, too.  I understand that when a desk, chair, or table is in sight, I should probably tuck myself under it and wait there until Mom leaves with me.  Some people might think that I don't like being "Under" constantly, but it's actually not too bad--it's cozy, kind of like being in a crate, which I love (although not as much as snuggling in bed with Mom--shhhh don't tell anyone that she lets me sleep with her!).

Even if I look like I'm sleeping, I'm still very much on the job!  I work K-9 to 5 (well, actually 24/7).
 I have some exciting news: I might even get to be a light mobility dog.  What does that mean?  Mobility dogs help with--you guessed it--mobility for their handlers, like pulling a wheelchair or bracing to help with balance.  As a light mobility dog, my job is a little bit easier: I just help Mom when she's having an episode of really painful knees.  I might even be getting a special harness for the job!
  Mom is also training me in light guide work, mainly just leading her to an exit so I can help her out of the public eye.  The command right now is in Latin, but hopefully I can get to a point where I can just intuitively understand when she needs me to kick into guide-mode.

I need to go now because Mom needs the computer to type her essay, but stay tuned for my post on Spoons tomorrow!

xoxoxo
Kelsie Iris


Check out these posts of mine:
SD team etiquette -- http://kelsieiris.blogspot.com/2015/04/dos-and-donts-of-encountering-service.html
Confused?  Here are some terms and abbreviations -- http://kelsieiris.blogspot.com/2015/04/as-abbreviations.html    

No comments:

Post a Comment