If you're currently fighting against mental or chronic illness, keep fighting. You're never alone and are so worth the effort.

Monday, May 4, 2015

KI Recommends: SD Vest

As I was gnawing a hole through my blanket the other day, I realized that it might be helpful to SDiT teams for me to post recommendation of certain items and products--it's hard enough navigating Owner-Training without having constantly ask "How do I get a SD vest?" or "What kind of patches should I have?" or even the basics, like "What food should I feed my four-legged friend?"  Mom says that she asked all these questions and more when she was expecting me to arrive, and I can only imagine that it was difficult to try to sort through all of them.  So that's why I'm here: to help others who have the same questions!  I don't claim to know all the answers (I'm a dog, after all), but I can at least give suggestions and recommendations based on what has worked for me!

I thought I'd start with a big topic: how to choose a SD vest.  Mom spend hours pouring over websites trying to find the right one for me, and personally, I love my vest (find it at www.wiredog.com ).  I highly recommend it--it's comfortable, large enough for quite a few patches, and adjustable.  Mom especially loves the rubber handle because she can grip it while I give her DPT.  The blue is a gorgeous colour (it comes in more colours, too), and it has reflective piping for low-lighting situations.  It's a little heavier than a cape-style vest and doesn't have pockets, but overall, I think it's a very good vest.  Mom even had the option of getting it embroidered with my name on it!  (she decided to fill the space with patches, though)

In general, I also really recommend the website www.petjoy.com to help with some of your vest and other SD needs!  They have some great stuff.
This WireDog vest came with the SD patch--Mom sewed the rest!

As you search for The One, your perfect vest, it'll help to answer some or all of these questions:
  • How big is my four-legged friend?  This can actually limit your options!
  •  Do I prefer the look of a certain style?  (eg some people really prefer capes)
  • Does my disability require any special type of harness? (eg one with a handle)
  • Do I want a pocket or ID pouch?
  • Do I mind of what kind of material it is made?  If yes, then what is my preferred material?
  • Do I want patches already sewn on, or would I prefer to select my own patches?
  • Is price a factor in my decision?  If so, what is my upper limit?
  • What colour do I want it to be?  Mom knew she wanted blue for me!

 Hope this helps!  Don't hesitate to let me know if you'd like me to give a recommendation on something specific!

xoxoxo
Kelsie Iris

Check out these posts:
SD team etiquette -- http://kelsieiris.blogspot.com/2015/04/dos-and-donts-of-encountering-service.html
Confused?  Here are some terms and abbreviations -- http://kelsieiris.blogspot.com/2015/04/as-abbreviations.html

No comments:

Post a Comment