If you're currently fighting against mental or chronic illness, keep fighting. You're never alone and are so worth the effort.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

KI Recommends: Safety and Style, Martingale Collars

What is a martingale collar?  Mom had never heard of one before she got me--the rescue from which she got me required that she pick me up with a "no slip" collar (i.e. one that can tighten so it can't slip off) and recommended a martingale collar, so Mom looked into it.  She and I have done some research since then, and we now are big supporters of martingale collars when they're used correctly!

Tightening loop on my new martingale collar from If It Barks
A martingale collar consists of a length of fabric with a ring at each end.  A loop of fabric passes through the rings, and this produces the ability to tighten the collar to prevent it from slipping over a pup's head (this is particularly useful for breeds like Greyhounds and Salukis, whose necks are wider than their heads and for whom flat collars are not necessarily the safest choice).  Unlike a choke chain collar, which Mom does not endorse, a martingale cannot tighten indefinitely--it can only tighten as far as the loop can go.  If fitted correctly, it will tighten only to the width of the pup's neck and will not choke him or her, but because it tightens and prevents the pup from slipping out of the collar, it keeps the pup safe and happy.


I recently got a new martingale collar from If It Barks, and I'm in love with it.  Because I have a larger head than my neck, unlike a Greyhound, Mom got my collar with a buckle on it so that she can take it on and off easier than my last martingale collar, which often got stuck around my ears.  This collar is especially helpful because it has two D-rings so that Mom can put my 6+ tags on one ring and my leash on the other!  My collar is light and durable, and it's machine washable (which is handy since I love playing in muddy water).  If It Barks helped Mom design the collar, and they were quick in the delivery and super supportive after delivery.  I highly recommend them for any of your collar or leash needs!  They have quite a few wonderful designs, but you can also design your own collar from their templates, like Mom did.  My new collar is sleek and stylish, and it keeps me safe!

My collar matches my vest (and leash, not pictured) perfectly!
Cheers for now,
Kelsie Iris











Check out these posts of mine:
SD team etiquette -- http://kelsieiris.blogspot.com/2015/04/dos-and-donts-of-encountering-service.html
Confused?  Here are some terms and abbreviations -- http://kelsieiris.blogspot.com/2015/04/as-abbreviations.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment