If you're currently fighting against mental or chronic illness, keep fighting. You're never alone and are so worth the effort.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Seattle Recap: Paradise

When your humom takes an hour to get ready in the morning...
PS I got to sleep on the bed!  I loved it.


Hello dear readers!

I have returned from temperate Seattle!  My paws have pranced upon the ground of many states, and I think Washington might be one of my favourites.  It has New Hampshire's green beauty, but it has a touch of special magic that the (Wild) West offers.  It's a pretty special place (Mom likens it to Montana, which is very high praise).

My girl and I stayed with her family, which included my human uncle and aunt, as well as my tiny human cousin.  I loved my little cousin--we're similar in height, weight, and age, so we made perfect playmates for one another.  He also shares my love of balls and quickly learned how to throw one for me.  He became quite the good little thrower!  My human uncle also had an affinity for throwing balls for me and could throw them much farther than my girl or the tiny human could--he was my favourite thrower of my trip.  While my aunt didn't share as much of the love of balls as everyone else, she made me feel so special by being sweet to me and by complimenting me for being a good dog, and I really liked getting to spend time around her.  The whole family is so wonderful and sweet, and they made me feel like I belonged there with them--I would easily stay with them again anytime!  It's honestly too bad that Mom goes to school across the country, but we'll try to visit as often as the D-Plan will allow.  I want to be able to watch the tiny human grow!

The house in which I stayed sat right upon a beautiful lake surrounded by lush trees--every morning I woke up to the sound of waves lapping upon the shore and geese quietly talking to one another.  I soon saw it as my house (my logic: we stayed the night, therefore we live there now), so I barked at strangers who came by (and occasionally my uncle when I forgot he lived there--oops!).  I loved playing fetch in real grass and clover, and I couldn't get enough playtime, especially since everyone indulged me.  When not playing fetch, I splashed a lot in the lake because I love water, nibbled at Asian pears, and attempted to hunt ducks (unfortunately, I was not able to catch one for dinner).  It truly was puppy paradise!  I asked Mom if we could live there forever, but she said we had to go home because of school--she promised, though, that we could go back, and I'm going to hold her to it because I can't imagine a better place to frolic and snuggle and play and snooze.

I rocked my work both at the airport and around the Seattle area.  Mom had quite a few anxiety flare ups throughout the trip, including at both airports, so I got to do what I was adopted and trained to do: help her.  Mom says I did some of the best blocks she's ever seen me do--I felt so proud of myself for handling everything so well!  I was invisible when I needed to be and ignored people's comments to me like I'm supposed to do.  Whenever my vest was on, I acted like the Service Dog I am.  The only hiccup was at the Seattle airport on the way home: I was super nervous about having the TSA officer pat me down.  Mom has told me not to worry about it, though, because I was having a really bad day--I woke up with my tail between my legs and unfortunately didn't manage to shake the feeling before I fell asleep that night.  That being said, I still did my job and even, according to Mom, excelled at it.  Her safety and comfort come first, no matter what I'm feeling (she'll tell you that my safety and comfort come first, but I'm really the one taking care of her).

All in all, I'd say it was an amazing trip, and I even got a full day of vacation.  One day, many tiny humans and their parents came to the backyard (I'm still not sure why, but Mom has assured me that humans sometimes do this--it's called a party, apparently).  All day long, I got to play ball with the tiny humans and splash in the water with them!  It was an amazingly fun day.  My girl says I behaved really well around the tiny humans, especially when one pulled my tail, but of course I was good--I always try to be a good girl! (and it helps that I was fostered with a tiny human)  I couldn't stop wagging my tail the whole day, especially with all the praise and attention I received.

My favourite quote from my trip came from a security guard at the airport, who offered to do anything for me that my girl needed: "They [service dogs] do so much for us--it's the least we could do for them."  Sometimes people really are special!

I've been pretty content and quiet since I've gotten home, and I'm excited to see what these last few summer weeks have in store for my girl and me.

xoxoxo
Kelsie Iris



Check out these posts of mine:
SD team etiquette -- http://kelsieiris.blogspot.com/2015/04/dos-and-donts-of-encountering-service.html
Confused?  Here are some terms and abbreviations -- http://kelsieiris.blogspot.com/2015/04/as-abbreviations.html    

No comments:

Post a Comment